The Australian High Commission has received a report of an individual falsely offering opportunities to live and work in Australia. The reported scam refers to an ‘Australian Resettlement Program 2020’ and an ‘Australia Skilled Nominee Program (SNP)’.
The Australian High Commission has asked the public to be wary of scams and please note the following:
- Australian Government staff and representatives never ask local people for
- Australian Government staff and representatives only conduct official
business from official email accounts – not Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook,
@australiamail.com or other publically available email providers.
- If an individual claims to be an Australian Government staff member or
representative and asks you for money, do not pay it. Instead, you should
contact the Australian High Commission to confirm if the individual really works
for the Australian Government.
- If you have any doubt as to whether an individual claiming to be an Australian
Government staff member or representative is who they say they are, you
should contact the Australian High Commission.
- You can contact the Australian High Commission in person on the corner of
Hibiscus Avenue and Mud Alley in Honiara or by telephone on 21561.
- If you have been the victim of a scam you should report it to the police.
If an offer sounds ‘too good to be true’, it probably is not true.